Hitchhiker's Guide to Software Architecture and Everything Else - by Michael Stal

Friday, June 18, 2010

I have been upgraded

Because I got so many questions on this: Most recently, my name got a little bit longer. The University of Groningen in the Netherlands (RuG, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen) has appointed me Professor Extraordinarius. Thus, I am now member of the Bernoulli Institute of Mathematics and Natural Sciences where I will give lectures and more.

If you now ask: this is in addition to my main profession at Siemens which by the way supported me in achieving the position. Of course, I am very glad to cooperate with Paris Avgeriou who is a professor himself at the RUG. Another personal friend and promoter, Jan Bosch, is member of the same institute. Needless to say, that Paris and Jan are internationally renowned software architecture experts with whom it is a lot of fun to work together. I am quite impressed by their knowledge and expertise, they also use to distribute to their students.

My appointment was greatly supported by Nicolai Petkov, another professor at RuG, whom I really like and respect. After the deans of all Computer Science Instititutes in other Dutch Universities  had agreed to my appointment after checking my C/V and my References I finally received the appointment letter.

The RuG is quite famous for its research on software engineering, in particular in Product Line Engineering. Not to forget all the RuG offspring such as Jan Ommering and a lot of other great Product Line gurus. I do not only enjoy that but also the Dutch mentality and great hospitality whenever I am in Groningen. Only a few weeks ago I’ve been there to give lectures to students as I already mentioned in my last blog post.

Thus, I will be able in the future to support Ph.D students, master students as well as postdocs. They may learn from my experiences, but I will also learn a lot from them. You could call that a Win-Win situation.

So that’s the big news.

1 Comments:

  • Congratulations! We are hoping to read some new post from you, there is always something interesting to read.

    By Anonymous Michael Roberts, at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home